Dr. Sekhar Majumdar
- Thermal Power Engineering
Dr. Sekhar Majumdar recently joined the Cambridge Institute of Technology, Bangalore as a Professor of Eminence. Earlier he worked as Professor, Mechanical Engineering and Head of Centre for Computational Fluid Dynamics at the Nitte Meenakshi Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
Dr. Majumdar received his Bachelors’ and master’s degree in mechanical engineering from the Bengal Engineering College, University of Calcutta. Dr. Majumdar served the Central Mechanical Engg. Research Institute (CSIR) till 1983 as a Research Scientist. He was awarded PhD on the thesis Flame Stabilisation using Opposed Jets in Gas Turbine Engines. Dr. Majumdar joined as Senior Research Scientist at the Institute for Hydromechanics, University Karlsruhe, Germany, associated with the research group of the eminent Professor W.Rodi, to work on the German Science Foundation Projects in the area of Simulation of Turbulent Flows in arbitrary shaped configurations.
Dr. Majumdar also became a CFD Consultant for some reputed Industries from Germany and Denmark. Dr. Majumdar served NAL as a Senior Scientist and during the last four years of his service, he became the Head of the Computational and Theoretical Fluid Dynamics Division of NAL (CSIR). He was invited by the Centre for Turbulence Research, Stanford University for one year (2001- 2002) as a Senior Visiting Fellow to work on a NASA Ames Project on developing a Navier Stokes Solver employing the concept of immersed boundary for curvilinear geometry. Dr. Majumdar was Professor of Eminence, School of Engineering & Technology [SoET], Centurion University, Bhuvaneswar Campus since January 2021.
- Awarded the Fellowship of Indian National Academy of Engineers in 2010.
- Awarded the Fellowship of Institute of Engineers India in 2011.
- Awarded the Fellowship of Aeronautical Society of India in 2008.
- Awarded the Senior Visiting Fellowship at the Center for Turbulence Research, Stanford University, USA from May 2001 to May 2002.
- Dr. M. G. Deshpande memorial award for the best paper from academic institutes and national research laboratories, presented in the 23rd National Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power, Bhopal, December 27th – 29th, 1996.
Member of Selection Committees
Selection Committee for recruitment and assessment of Scientists at DRDO and for Associate Professors and Professors at IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata & at Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore.
Research Guidance on R& D; Projects on CFD for PhD degree:
- Sponsored Research Projects on Modelling and Simulation of Transitional Flows
–sponsoring Agencies are
- Naval Research Board (DRDO)- [Member Hydrodynamics Panel]
- Establishment of the Centre of Excellence on Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) at the Mechanical Engineering. Department, NMIT Bangalore.
Other Industry and Consultancy Research Projects:
- Consultancy offered for CFD analyses of Turbulent Flow problems sponsored by Industry to be solved using their in-house developed general purpose Navier Stokes code.
- Led a group of young scientists of the CTFD Division, NAL in the state-of-the-art CFD analysis of low speed turbulent flow problems in complex configuration, under sponsored research from DRDO and ISRO.
- R & D in the forefront technology areas of Computational Fluid Dynamics for Naval Hydrodynamics problems.
- Development of a pressure based multiblock structured grid with finite volume solver RANS3D in boundary fitted coordinates, used for variety of hydrodynamics and low speed aerodynamics problems, sponsored by Defence Research and Space Research (DRDO) organizations of the country.
- Research in the advanced area of CFD (RANS solver based on Adaptive Cartesian Grid for Curvilinear Geometry) as a part of NASA Ames Project.
- Large Eddy Simulation (LES) for the study of Bluff Body Hydrodynamics & Flow past Underwater Bodies employing the in-house developed CFD code RANS3D under the sponsorship of Naval Research Board, India.
- Under a CSIR Network project on High Science and Technology, the code RANS3D is extended for time-accurate solution of unsteady flow with provision of moving boundaries and validated successfully for: (1) Turbulent flow past Circular Cylinders and (2) Flow past Aerofoils pitching sinusoidally at a given frequency.
- Worked with the research group of Prof. Dr. W. Rodi under two different German Science Foundation (DFG) projects related to Numerical Simulation of Turbulent Flows.
- Offered technical consultancy to M/s Hochtemperatur Reaktor Bau, Germany for CFD analysis of flow and mixing in High Temperature Reactors and to M/s APV Anhydro, Denmark for Simulation of Flow in Milk Spray Drying Chambers.
- Worked with the Fluid Mechanics and Heat Power Division on Design, development &testing of Pumps, Fans and Compressors and Numerical and Experimental analyses of High-Speed Combustion System.
- Established the first Testing Facilities of the country at CMERI (CSIR) for Performance Evaluation of Industrial Fans and Blowers – sponsored by Hindustan Development Corporation Kolkata.
For nearly three decades he has supervised B.Tech projects, 30 M.E/M.Tech. thesis and specially 2 PhD as Co Supervisor – one awarded by the NIT Surathkal & another by MNNIT Allahabad.
- During 1990-2021 organised number of Faculty Development Programs at different reputed colleges and universities in India teaching "Numerical Computation of Turbulent Flows".
- Conducted one FDP on CFD organized under the ATAL program of AICTE at CUTM,Odissa in July 2021
- Examiner of M.Tech., ME, MSc(Engg.) and PhD theses during 1999-2021 at IIT Kanpur (Mechanical), IIT Madras (Ocean Engg., Applied Mechanics), IISc Bangalore (Aerospace and Mechanical), IIT Mumbai (Aerospace and Mechanical), IIT Kharagpur (Chemical Engg, and Ocean Engg.), IIT Delhi (Applied Mechanics),NIT Calicut, Hindustan University Chennai.
- Taught Heat and Mass Transfer, Computational Fluid Dynamics and Numerical Methods for 6th,7th and 8th semester undergraduate students and Thermodynamics & Combustion, Advanced Heat Transfer, CFD, Aerodynamics and Jet Propulsion for postgraduate (Thermal) students at the Nitte Meenakshi Institute of Technology, Bangalore
Organizer of National/International Conferences, Workshops
- Member International Committee of Asian Fluid Mechanics Congress 2010 & organized the 16th Asian Congress of Fluid Mechanics at JNCSAR Bangalore in Dec. 2019
- Co Chairman, 7th Asian CFD Conference, November 2007
- National Annual CFD Symposia of Aeronautical Society of India from 2004 to 2008 as the Chairman, CFD Division, AeSI
- NAL-UNI Lecture Series on Numerical Computation of Turbulent Flow(1991)
Reviewer of National Journals:
- Defense Science Journal
- Current Science
- Chemical Engineering Research and Design
- Journal of Aircraft Science & Technology
- Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Physics
- Journal of Instt. of Enggs., India Series.
Reviewer of International Journals:
- Numerical Heat Transfer
- Journal of Hydraulic Engg (ASCE)Applied Scientific Research
- International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow
- International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids
- Journal of Computational Physics
- International Journal of Thermal Sciences
- Applied Mathematical Modeling, Ocean Engineering